Friday, May 11, 2012

Pre-departure scramble

Hello to followers old and new! Last year, I kept an online blog all summer of my experience on a summer human rights fellowship in Kampala, Uganda, and I understand it got very popular in some circles.... so, here I am again, a year later and about to set out on another great adventure (funded by my very generous law school). I know more law than ever -- though I still know pretty much nothing -- and I am heading back to where I think I really belong: South Africa.

I lived in Cape Town for about 10 months from 2007-2008, though it was in two short stints rather than all together. Except for a brief visit to Johannesburg last August, I haven't been back to South Africa in four years, and I am excited! As much as I love Cape Town, I am going to Johannesburg this summer because... well, because it's where the jobs are. In one sense, I'm not all that excited about it as a location, because Joburg is kind of just a city. On the other hand, it's really different from Cape Town, has a very different history (colonial, apartheid-er, and post-apartheid), very different racial and ethnic makeup, etc., so I think it will be a fascinating study of contrasts if nothing else.

I am working for an NGO that does human rights litigation throughout southern Africa. They have a number of district programs, but the two I've expressed interest in are their HIV/AIDS program and their international criminal law program. Their international criminal law program just won a case in South Africa that will force the South African police to investigate Zimbabwean officials living in SA who committed crimes against humanity (including torture -- it's being referred to in the media as the "Zimbabwe torture case") in Zimbabwe, in accordance with South Africa's international and domestic criminal law obligations. Exciting stuff!

That said, I am laughably unprepared to leave. It's currently Friday. Well, it's actually almost 3am on Saturday morning, but we'll call it Friday. I leave Gainesville on Tuesday, spend a night in New York, and fly out for Joburg on Wednesday morning. I still have to.... clean all my clothes, figure out what I'm actually taking overseas, buy all the necessities like a new toothbrush and enough of my sensitive teeth toothpaste to last me the summer, etc. I was in such a rush to clear out of my apartment and to get everything out of the way of my subletter that I drastically and tragically over-packed coming home from Philadelphia, so clearly I need to do some paring down....:


That's all I've got for now. Just wanted to set this blog up while I was thinking about it and had the time.

Oh, one final note about the blog title. First of all, Johannesburg is known as the "City of Gold" -- because of its historical connection with South African gold mining. And it's going to be a winter in said city of gold because, sadly, South Africa is in the southern hemisphere... which means that May-August is the dead of winter. No summer for Katie in 2012. The sacrifices we make...

2 comments:

  1. Any chance some stuff (toothpaste and even clothes) can be mailed over there? Good luck getting everything done!

    ReplyDelete